Friday, February 28, 2014

Sunday
Snow/Sleet Chance for Measurable Precipitation 50%
Snow/Sleet

High: 42 °F
Sunday
Night
Snow/Sleet Chance for Measurable Precipitation 80%
Snow/Sleet

Low: 25 °F
Monday
Snow Chance for Measurable Precipitation 90%
Snow

High: 27 °F
Monday
Night
Snow Likely Chance for Measurable Precipitation 60%
Snow
Likely
Low: 10 °F

Can you guess what we'll be doing Monday?  If you said , "Why Donna Lee, I imagine you are going to have to use another vacation day because you may well be snowed in."  You would be correct.  Probably.  We haven't gotten any official Winter Storm Warnings yet but since Monday is one of my biggest clinic days, I had to make plans ahead of time.  I can't chance that my clients will try to make it out in the craptastic weather we are predicted to have.

My plan is to call Abe (my doctor colleague that I work with on Monday) early in the morning.  If he's not going to make it in and I'm not going to make it in, I will put a message on my phone at work to tell everyone to stay home.  I called everyone today and told them to call before they head in for their appointments.  I hope they use some common sense and don't try to come out if it's nasty.

Our Monday morning clinic is for individuals with Intellectual Disabilities and a mental illness diagnosis.  It's a challenging group to work with but oh so rewarding.  The problem is that they are often at the mercy of their caregivers and have no real control over their own lives.  We try to give them some measure of control.

Abe is one of the truly nicest doctors I have worked with.  The one that I had the most trouble with has resigned.  (no, I am not ashamed to admit that I breathed a small sigh of relief when it happened and there are some folks who are positively giddy at the release of tension)  I also work with another young male psychiatrist who is smart and pleasant and so easy to work with.  It's like being spoiled after 12 years of putting up with an abusive personality.  I'll get another doctor in July but it'll be a young one and hopefully one who appreciates that we are all part of a team.

But now we are facing more snow and another bout of especially cold weather.  (insert put-upon sigh here).  I know it's still winter but usually by this time we are starting to see bits of green as the crocuses push their way through the soil.  Not this year.  Not a single one.  It's just been too cold.  Pk planted bags and bags of bulbs so we could have a lovely burst of color but who knew we'd have an actual winter?

I have plenty of books to read and plenty of things to knit and/or spin and laundry to do and maybe some bread to bake so I'll be able to keep busy.  I am reading The Reason I Jump by Naoki Higashida.  It's an autobiography of a 13 year old boy with autism. 

I have some less serious things as well.  My guilty pleasure, JD Robb's In Death series has a new book and I've got it on my ipad just waiting for me.  There's a new Vogue Issue and the new Spin Off is out so I'm set. 

Peter Kevin has some soccer games on Saturday and a ton of work to do the rest of the time.  

At least this is not our grocery shopping week.  I stopped at the store on the way home and it's already beginning to show some shortages of "snow essentials" like bread and milk and there was a long line at the deli counter.

So, what about your weekend?  Is it shaping up to be a good one as we say good bye to Feb and welcome March? 

5 comments:

Deb said...

I just finished the new JD Robb book.

Don't worry. No spoilers.

I live in PA, too and will also be using a vacation day on Monday.

Stay warm, stay safe.

Galad said...

I remember years of this kind of snow but can't say I miss it. I'll second the "stay safe and warm".

roxie said...

Our weekend is easy peasy compared to yours. Kyle had Friday off, so we did our grocery shopping then. (First of the month is usually insane at the store we shop because that's when the food-stamp cards re-charge, so everyone is doing BIG shopping trips!) We have side-by-side computers so we will sit and click away and be happy together.

Saren Johnson said...

I hope your snow is only a skiff!

DrK said...

yeah its still summer here too! we've had big storms at least this week with heavy rain that floods everything then it stops and the sun comes out and the steam literally hisses up off the road. its not good for my hair which is so frizzy i feel like not going out in public. i hope everything went ok with work and im glad to hear you're getting better physicians who understand how to work in teams for the benefit of the actual client!

Happy Sunday!  I am sitting here working on my sweater made with the cashmere yarn my husband gave me for my birthday last year. I’m further...